JS

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Gliptone Green & Blue Liquid Metal Polish 1951 Airstream Flying Cloud

I ordered some polish from you last year and told you about my project, a 1951 Airstream Flying Cloud. I don't know if you would remember me but thought I would touch base with you and let you know my findings about your products.

First I have never attempted such a large project in polishing aluminum, but well over 30 years in buffing show cars AND I thought it would be no big deal for this project, WRONG! LOL


Well I will have to say its a totally different ball game, nasty and labor intense to the max on this project!

I have used several products [15 to say the least].Most of them on the market for this project and most you don't even see in retail chain stores. The ones that are not in the retail chain stores seem to be some of the best products you can buy and several products that I tried were also recommended by the Airstream community on what to use for this type of project. I can say Gliptone was never mentioned or used by this community of people in my findings.

I can say the final finish for the inside and outside my choice is the Gliptone [fine grade blue], it just seems to be easier to take off and with better results in the final shine. Airstreams use a very special grade of aircraft aluminum as well as it being 60 year old aluminum and never polished, this did not help matters any.
I must say Gliptone is the choice for the final finish and has the best deep shine, this is if lightly hand applied or lightly orbital buffed using soft pad and cloth .."USE VERY LITTLE OF PRODUCT FOR BEST RESULTS" THIN APPLICATION ONLY!


Pics sent are of the interior dinette area. I stripped all the paint and polished the interior wall above the dinette table. I did used some heavier grade of polish but the final finish is with Gliptone products, Green and Blue.

Respectfully, Jimmy C. [Ohio]

1951 Airstream Flying Cloud interior dinette area

No comments: